Channa Dal-Coconut Chutney
I have tried many coconut chutneys but, this chutney is something different. I learnt this from my mother in law. This chutney has a unique taste. It goes well with idly, Dosa, uppma or kichadi and pongal. My hubby likes to have it with poori too. You’ll believe me when you taste it!
- 2 table spoons of channa dal
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp urd dal
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp jeera
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch of ginger
- 4 green chillies
- small pinch of tamarind
- 5 to 6 pieces of coconut
- Salt to taste
Garnishing - Curry leaves.
- Firstly, add 1 teaspoon of oil and roast the channa dal on a medium flame.
- Take away the coconut skin and chop it finely.
- In a mixer jar, first grind the coconut and later add the green chillies, roasted channa dal, garlic, ginger, tamarind and required salt.
- Make sure you don’t blend it too much.
- Now make tadka with mustard, urd dal and curry leaves and the yummy chutney is ready! Serve it with idly or dosa or Pongal.
Tips / variations
We can use red chillies chillies too. If you are using red chillies, skip adding ginger and tamarind. My choice is using green chilli which goes well with most of the south Indian cuisine dishes.
As we are using coconut it won’t stay for more than a day. But, I guess u won’t have any leftover!
Chana dal is highly nutritious even when it is roasted or powdered or steamed. It is rich in fibre and helps to lower cholesterol. Coconut supports immune system health and Reduces risk of heart health and improves good cholesterol.