Coconut chutney- restaurant style
My aunt taught me this restaurant style coconut chutney, which is in pure white colour. This chutney has a unique taste. It goes well with idly, Dosa, uppma or kichadi and pongal. Coconut chutney is a simple-easy recipe and it becomes the important side dish to serve usually with most of the South Indian breakfast dishes.
- 2 tsp oil
- 1 tsp urd dal
- 1 tsp mustard
- 1 tsp jeera
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 inch of ginger
- 4 green chillies
- 5 to 6 pieces of coconut
- 2 shallots
- Salt to taste
Garnishing - Curry leaves.
- Take away the coconut skin and chop it finely.
- In a mixer jar, first grind the coconut
- Now add the green chillies, garlic, ginger, shallot and required salt.
- Make sure you don’t blend it too much.
- Now make tadka with mustard, urd dal and curry leaves and the yummy chutney is ready! Serve it with idly or dosa or Pongal.
Tips / variations
Taking off the coconut skin gives the pure white texture to the chutney. Make sure the chutney is not over blended. Exact consistency makes the dish perfect. This chutney goes well with most of the south Indian cuisine tiffin dishes.
Shelf life is less as we are using coconut but can be store in fridge for a day. But, I guess u won’t have any leftover!
Just like garlic and onions, shallots offer amazing health benefits. Shallots share the same antioxidant properties as garlic. Coconut supports immune system health and Reduces risk of heart health and improves good cholesterol.