Tangy Tomato Chutney
Tomato chutney is a basic side dish in south India cuisine that is made in different ways. There are many styles one can use to make the tomato chutney. I like this chutney for its blended tangy taste of the tomatoes and onions. This chutney goes well with idly and Dosa.
- Oil to sauté
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1 teaspoon of urad dal
- 1 teaspoon of jeera
- 2 small size tomatoes
- 2 small size onions
- 4 dry red chillies
- Salt as needed
Garnishing - Curry leaves
- Heat the kadai and add 2 spoons of oil.
- Add red chillies and roast it in low flame.
- Make sure the red chillies are not burnt.
- Add finely chopped onions and the salt required.
- Add the chopped tomatoes once the onions are translucent.
- Saute for 5 min in low flame.
- Allow it to cool and grind it in a mixer jar.
- Make tadka with mustard, urad dal, jeera and curry leaves.
Tangy and tasty chutney is ready! Serve it with idly or dosa.
Tips / variations:
- Adding a pinch of tamarind to this will give a lovely taste.
- But, make sure your tomatoes are not that sour, as too much tanginess might spoil the dish.
- It can stay for a day if stored in the fridge.
- Tomatoes are a powerful antioxidant, super rich in Vitamin C and good for the heart.
- Onions helps to boost your immunity and regulate your blood pressure.